Trees are the real gems in any landscape. These trees are beautiful features that can shade your property from the heat of Florida. We recommend that you think about the safety and health of your family and your property when maintaining trees.
Large tree roots can cause structural damage, no matter how beautiful they may be. If they grow too close to your home, trees can cause exterior and roof damage. If your trees aren’t properly planted, these and many other problems can happen. These problems can be avoided by following the proper tree planting guidelines to ensure that your trees are placed in a space where there is enough room between you and your home.
Poorly planted trees can cause structural problems in your home and present a safety risk to your family.
If trees aren’t planted properly, they can cause structural damage in many ways. These are just a few of the issues you need to be aware of:
- The largest threat to your property is from large tree roots. Trees are small, humble giants. However, they need the right amount of space to grow their strong roots. Tree roots can spread beneath your soil, regardless of how much space they have. This is what often causes structural damage. Poorly planted trees can cause damage to sidewalks, driveways, and foundations.
- Poorly planted trees can cause roof damage and blockage of gutters. If a tree grows too close to your house, its limbs could hang above your roof. Hanging branches can cause damage to your roof and accelerate erosion. If not removed, dead leaves and branches from your tree will end up in your gutters.
- Your home’s exterior can be damaged by branches. As they grow, twigs and tree branches can damage the exterior of your house.
- Your loved ones can be hurt by dead trees. If they fall at the wrong time, dead branches can cause safety hazards for loved ones and your family.
How far should a tree be planted from your home?
How far away should trees be from your home? To ensure that trees are planted safely away from your home, there are some guidelines. These guidelines will help you avoid potential damage. It is recommended to plant trees between 10-and 20 feet from your home. The following distances are required for trees:
- Plant large trees with a mature height of at least 70 feet 20 feet from your home.
- Medium trees that reach less than 70 feet in height should be planted at least 15 feet from your home.
- Plant small trees less than 30 feet in height 10 feet from your home.
This post was written by Cody O’Connor, owner of Arbor Wise Professional Tree Care. Robert Miller is the owner of Arbor Wise Professional Tree Care, a locally owned and operated tree service company that offers superb lawn care by the most experienced Arborists. Arbor Wise Tree Services is a tree removal saint petersburg fl company that offers stump removal, tree pruning, stump grinding, fertilization, and tree restoration. We have an extraordinary lawn care industry notoriety covering the Pinellas county area.